Canon conceptualises a revolutionary new EOS system-EOS R, with the launch of its first full frame mirror less camera and new line up of lenses
- The new full frame 30.3 megapixel, Canon EOS R expands optical possibilities through its revolutionary large diameter mount, latest DIGIC 8 processor, advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
- Coupled with new RF mount adapters, allowing users full access to Canon’s existing range of EF and EF-S lenses
India, 21st September 2018 - Continuing its commitment to innovation, Canon India announces the launch of its latest innovation in the imaging industry-the EOS R system. This technology is the orgnanisations extention to the three decade old legacy of the path breaking EOS system. The EOS R is Canon’s first 35mm full frame CMOS sensor mirror less camera that features an electronic viewfinder. Equipped with various other pioneering features like advanced Dual pixel CMOS AF, Digic 8 imaging processor, High density AF points positions, Multi function slider bar, Flexible AE Mode, High speed data communication RF mount, the camera is set to become the future of imaging and bring forth to users an epitome of image quality never seen before.
Along with the camera, the imaging leader has unveiled a series of lenses; four new RF lenses, two super telephoto EF lenses and one prime EF-M lens. Allowing users the flexibility of using their existing EF lenses with the new EOS R, four type of RF mount adapters have been introduced to complete the EOS R ecosystem.
Present for the launch in India, Mr. Yoshiyuki Mizoguchi, Group Executive - ICB Products Group, Canon Inc. said, “Being one of the global leaders in the imaging space, Canon has always kept innovation at the forefront, enabling technology to compliment the art of photography. For over 30 years the legendary EOS system has given photographers and filmmakers the benchmark for high quality imagery. Taking the legacy of the EOS system ahead, EOS R is a surpise package to address the evolving imaging requirements of professional photographers and filmmakers. With its exemplary features like the new RF mount, advanced dual pixel CMOS AF and 4K ultra high definition, it is a marvel designed to complement and expand the creative horizons of its users.”
India has played a key role in the growth journey of Canon’s imaging business and I am glad to be here today to witness the launch of the new EOS R system, or the future of imaging as we call it,” added Mr. Mizoguchi.
Mr. Kazutada Kobayashi, President & CEO, Canon India said, “Ever since our inception in India, we have been committed to our diverse customer base with our expansive product portfolio. Furthering our dedication, we are proud to bring to our audience the new EOS R system, equipped with groundbreaking functionalities never seen before. With this launch, users are being equipped with limitless possibilities, further pushing the boundaries of technology, innovation and design. Today’s launch is also accompanied with two new EF lenses from super telephoto category and one prime lens from EF-M Category, offering the best of our imaging universe to customers. We foresee the EOS R system contributing significantly to the growth of our imaging business in the country, enabling us to maintain our No.1 share in the combined DSLR and mirrorless market.”
Mr. Eddie Udagawa, Vice President, Consumer Imaging and Information Centre, Canon India, said, “At Canon India, we strive to bring forth the ultimate shooting experience for customers, thereby expanding new possibilities for storytellers. With performance and quality at its core, the new Canon EOS R system comes equipped with the revolutionary 54mm mount, the latest DIGIC 8 processor and focus speed of 0.05seconds, making it all set to further evolve the photography culture in the country. It has a compact body making full use of the mirrorless mechanism and can respond to the high demand of still image and movie shooting. With the intuitive way of shooting and enhanced operational ease, we are positive this launch will empower photographers and filmmakers to accomplish higher levels of quality and detail to their stories, enabling them to rethink and reimagine mirror less photography.”
The EOS R will be available in India at the price of
EOS R Body: INR 189,950.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
EOS R kit (with RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens): INR 278,945.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for EOS R Body and EOS R Kit will start from mid October 2018.
Key Features of the EOS R system
|The RF lens mount is at the heart of the EOS R System. It is an uncompromising balance of optical, mechanical and electronic engineering excellence enabling innovative full-frame lens designs, faster autofocus and high-speed communication between the camera and lens.||
With RF Lenses, lens data can now be sent to the body for correcting any diffraction, aberrations, peripheral illumination or distortion through in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer without affecting shooting speed
Epitome of Image Quality
- Delivering crisp details and pulsating colors at 30.3 megapixels through the 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor, developed and manufactured by Canon. The EOS R ISO sensitivity range of 100-40,000 has made shooting in low-light scenes achievable
- Driven by the latest DIGIC 8 imaging processor, the Auto Lighting Optimizer applies gradient to deliver intricate details in highlights and shadows for a well-balanced image even in backlit conditions
- The EOS R employs Dual Sensing IS, which detects camera shake with high accuracy to effectively stabilize images
- Attaining image information from the image sensor and information from the lens’s gyro sensor, the camera can accurately detect low-frequency vibrations. The EOS R achieves image stabilization equivalent to a maximum of 5 shutter speed stops for stills shooting—allowing slower shutter speed yet sharp images
- EOS R supports Dual Pixel RAW for micro-adjustment, bokeh shift and ghosting reduction. C-RAW format is an optional Raw format with reduced data size, permitting more continuous shooting as well.
Focusing on What Matters
- The camera is equipped with the world’s fastest* near instantaneous focusing speed of 0.05seconds, catching that fleeting moment as fast as it happens, made possible through Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- The breakthrough in low-light focus of EV -6 limit allows EOS R to attain precise focus even in extreme low-light conditions where human eyes would have difficulty discerning details, near complete darkness
- Users now have the freedom to choose from as many as 5,655 AF (Auto-Focus) positions, allowing better composition opportunities. The large focusing area covers approximately 100% (vertically) x 88% (horizontally) when used with compatible lenses
- Shooting portraits at wide open aperture is now made easier with Eye Detection AF, which detects the subject’s pupil and ensures that the eyes are always in focus—retaining tack-sharp image
*as of date of release
Making the Best of the Robust Body Design
- The hallmark ergonomics of the EOS R provides a well-balanced design, improving on the comfort and providing a firmer grip even when shooting in vertical (portrait) orientation
- Looking through the customizable 3.69-million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF) of EOS R of approximately 100% coverage, provides the users an immerse experience of viewing the outcome of their desired setting for the shot
- A customisable multifunction bar on its back with tap and slide functions, allows silent adjustment, suitable even for video recording. Along with the control ring on RF lenses and the sub-electronic trapezoidal dial on-top, users would never have to take their eyes off the EVF to adjust settings
- The magnesium alloy body, together with dust and moisture resistant sealing ensures that no matter rain or shine, EOS R is ready to perform
- The touch & drag AF allows the users to shift the AF point around using the touch screen, even while looking through the EVF. The touch screen is a Vari-angle LCD that allows user to shoot from unconventional angles or even for a selfie. A dot-matrix LCD is located at the top of the camera providing all the crucial information to the user at a glance without looking through EVF or LCD screen
- First Canon camera to feature FV exposure mode, allowing auto and direct control in one single mode for shutter speed, aperture and ISO sensitivity—all done without looking away from EVF. Silent Shutter would benefit users who do stills photography, shooting stealthily during performance, conference or during a recital
- The EOS R records in Ultra High Definition 4K at 30p/25p (3840 x 2160 pixels) video. The camera supports Canon’s proprietary Canon Log, which has proven results with the Cinema EOS System of video production equipment. Offering flexible control over shadows and highlights, to achieve better subtle details in the bright and dark areas during post-processing and colour grading. Now the EOS R can display 4K video with a rich 10-bit output gradation and a wide colour gamut through the HDMI terminal
The EOS R system is perfect for the agile filmmaker, offering responsive lenses and 4K video recording. Focus accurately and record smoothly with Dual Pixel CMOS AF and Movie Digital IS on EOS R to achieve high quality footage with Canon Log, 4:2:2 color sampling and 10-bit recording format.
Lens for the Future
The new RF lenses are a step towards the future, providing extremely high image quality never seen before. In addition to the focus ring and zoom ring found on conventional EF lenses, RF lenses also features an additional new control; ring to which users can assign exposure adjustments.
RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
- This kit lens for the EOS R delivers superior quality for still photography as well as videography, thanks to its smooth and high speed autofocusing of the Nano USM drive. The compact size and light weight with its useful focal length and constant aperture of f/4, makes this lens a great combination with EOS R as a portable camera system
- Equipped with Canon’s latest microprocessor, the RF24-105mm F4L IS USM achieves 5 stops* of image stabilization—the most ever achieved by any Canon lens. The lens also supports Dual Sensing IS for stills while video capture utilizes Combination IS, a feature in which the optical IS of the lens works together with the electronic IS of the camera body to produce a superior image stabilization effect
The RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM will be available at the price of INR 88,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM will start from mid October 2018.
* When shooting with the EOS R at a focal length of 105mm. Based on CIPA standards
RF50mm f/1.2L USM
- This lens builds on the wide diameter and short back focus that characterizes the RF mount to achieve a bright aperture of f/1.2. The lens makes near perfect circular bokeh effects with 10 blades and delivering incredible sharpness at f/1.2, ideal for portrait photography
- The lens can produce amazing smooth blur and background separation with its large aperture. Handling low-light conditions would be a breeze as well. A shorter focusing distance of 0.4m and 0.19x magnification allows tighter composition
The RF50mm f/1.2L USM will be available at the price of INR 185,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for RF50mm f/1.2L USM will start from mid October 2018.
RF28-70mm f/2L USM
- Thanks to the newly developed RF mount, the large-diameter RF28-70mm F2 L USM maintains a constant aperture of f/2 across the entire zoom range—difficult to achieve with conventional EF mount lenses. Its high optical performance makes it ideal even for weddings and astrophotography that take advantage of the wide f/2 aperture
- With its performance on par with prime lenses, RF28-70mm F2L USM enable users to cover the entire 28-70mm shooting range with a single lens in scenarios that would otherwise require several
The RF28-70mm f/2L USM will be available at the price of INR 242,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for RF28-70mm f/2L USM will start from December 2018.
RF35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM
- At 62.8mm long and 305g, this is a very compact and lightweight macro lens. With a wide focal length of 35mm, it is also ideal for daily snapshots and still-life photography
- Users can get up close to objects to capture textures and details that eludes the human eye with the maximum magnification of 0.5x. At wide open aperture of f/1.8, bokeh effects are simply beautiful. Besides Dual Sensing IS and Combination IS at achieves up to 5stops of Image Stabilisation, the lens also have Hybrid IS that corrects hand shake with high precision during macro photography
The RF35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM will be available at the price of INR 40,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for RF35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM will start from December 2018.
EF-M32mm f/1.4 STM
- Weighing at only 235g (lighter than an average apple), this lens has a focal length of 51mm (35mm sensor equivalent) which is one of the most favourite focal length among photographers. Users can compose a tighter image through the 0.25x magnification
- The large aperture of f/1.4 allows spectacular background blur whilst providing opportunities to perform well in low-light conditions as well. The EF-M32mm F1.4 STM even has a full-time manual focus ability and a metal mount
The EF-M32mm f/1.4 STM will be available at the price of INR 34,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for EF-M32mm f/1.4 STM will start from mid October 2018.
EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM & EF600mm f/4L IS III USM
- Two of Canon’s high image quality and popular Super Telephoto lenses had a breakthrough in weight reduction while improving on Image Stabilization, from 3.5stops to 5stops. EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM has shed 1,010g off its weight, making it the world’s lightest 400mm lens while EF600mm f/4L IS III USM managed to reduce 870g, claiming the world’s lightest 600mm lens title
- Revamped with a new sleek design, the two lenses have improved heat management through a new heat shield coating and heat conductivity design. Users would welcome the new adjustable focusing speed to suit their shooting style through the new electronic focusing ring. The ability to have two focus presets and to activate either using playback ring is especially useful for sports photography.
The EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM will be available at the price of INR 969,995.00/U
The EF600mm f/4L IS III USM will be available at the price of INR 1,050,995.00/U
The sales for EF400mm f/2.8L IS III USM and EF600mm f/4L IS III USM will start from mid October 2018.
Abundance of Choice
Constructed with dust and rain resistance in mind, the RF mount adapters feature simple designs and enable owners of EOS R cameras to use existing EF mount lenses1 with nearly full functionality2—ranging from wide-angle to telephoto, fisheye and macro—multiplying the possibilities of greater photographic expression.
Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Simple, compact and lightweight mount adapter.
The Mount Adapter EF-EOS R will be available at the price of INR 7,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R will start from mid October 2018.
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
Equipped with a customizable lens control ring similar to the RF lenses, allowing users to enjoy the same convenience while using existing EF lenses1.
The Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R will be available at the price of INR 15,995.00/U
(inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R will start from mid October 2018.
Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
These mount adapters is another step-up by adding a drop-in filter function—circular polarizing filter3 or variable neutral density filter3. Users can directly adjust the polarizing angle or the ND filter density on the adapter, especially useful on lenses that does not support filters, such as fish-eye lenses. Users no longer need different filters for different lenses.
The Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with ND Filter will be available at the price of INR 31,995.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
The Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R with PL Filter will be available at the price of INR 23,995.00/U (inclusive of all taxes)
The sales for Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R will start from next year.
1 Does not include EF-M Lenses or EF Cinema Lenses in the EF Lens series. RF lenses do not require a lens adapter.
2 Depending on camera specifications, some EF lens functions may not be usable.
3 Two kits for Drop-in Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R, one with Circular Polarizing Filter and one with Variable Neutral Density Filter. Both comes with a clear filter for normal shooting.
Making the Best of It
Having twice the power in the BG-E22 battery grip for the EOS R allows twice the opportunities to capture moments. The battery grip can hold up to two batteries and is first of its kind that allows direct charging, up to two batteries with PD-E1 USB adapter.
The BG-E22 further adds on the ergonomics of the EOS R, improving on the comfort and providing a firmer grip even when shooting in vertical (portrait) orientation.
The new Canon Speedlite EL-100 is built with functionality and convenience in mind. With the ability to turn the flash-head in all directions of up to 180 degrees, users can bounce light with the ceiling and wall in both horizontal and vertical orientation.
First in Canon’s Speedlite, EL-100 features Continuous Shooting Priority* (CSP) mode and Auto mode*. The Speedlite would reduce its output power and raise ISO to save power, allowing more shots whilst using CSP mode. For new users of Speedlite, they could make full use of the Auto Mode*, similar to Auto Mode on the cameras with built-in flash, it would determine how much flash is needed.
*functions when paired with EOS R
With the introduction of gamut of products, Canon is also providing an *INTRODUCTORY OFFER of 1 additional battery (LP-E6N) and 1 Mount Adaptor (EF-EOS R) along with the purchase of EOS R body or EOS R kit (with RF24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens).
*Offer valid till stocks last
About Canon Group
Ever since its foundation in 1937, Canon is guided by the “Kyosei” philosophy of living and working together for the common good. Canon strives to create and deliver world-class products, becoming a top global corporation by diversifying into new business fields throughout the world. Focusing on optical technologies, Canon produces office equipment, consumer and professional imaging devices, network cameras, healthcare and industrial equipment. Through the close connection between its global head office in Tokyo and regional headquarters in America, Europe, Asia, Oceania and regional headquarters in Japan, Canon combines its global and local operations organically. In 1996, Canon launched its Excellent Global Corporation Plan with the goal of serving the society with advanced technologies and becoming a trustworthy and responsible corporate citizen. The year 2016 is the first year of Phase 5 of the Plan. Currently, Canon boasts a strong global presence of 367 subsidiaries all over the world, supported by 197,673 employees. (Data as of December 31, 2016)
About Canon India
Canon India Pvt. Ltd., a 100% subsidiary of Canon Singapore Pvt. Ltd., is a world leader in imaging technologies. Set up in 1997, Canon markets over 200 comprehensive range of sophisticated contemporary digital imaging product and solutions in India. The company today has offices and warehouses in 14 cities across India and employs over 1000 people. Canon has over 500 primary channel partners, 14 National Retail Chain partners, and over 6000 secondary retail points. Canon India till date has opened over 250 retailer stores accredited as “Image Square” across 100+ cities in the country. Canon India’s service reach extends to over 583 towns covering 17,622 PIN codes across India - which comprises of 191 Camera collection points, 17 Camera repair centers, 246 Printer repair centers, 162 Copier, Scanner and Large Format Printer Sales & Service dealers. (Data as of 20th September 2018)
In sync with its corporate tagline- ‘Delighting You Always’, reinforced by World class technology, Canon offers an extended product portfolio, including copier MFDs, Managed Document Services, Fax-Machines, Printers, Document and Cheque Scanners, All-in-ones, Digital Cameras, DSLR’s, Cinematic Imaging Products, Camcorders, Cable ID Printers and Card printers catering to the multiple market segments of consumer, SME, B2B, Commercial, Government & PSUs. In 2017, the imaging leader recorded a double digit growth.